Why do I need a crown on my tooth?
Due to time, wear and trauma, our teeth can become weak or discolored. When a tooth is weakened it can be at high risk for breaking or experiencing further damage. In these cases, a crown is recommended to help protect the tooth from fracture and prevent tooth loss.
Common situations resulting in a tooth being a candidate for a crown are:
- Teeth with large cavities or large, older, fillings that are breaking down
- Broken or cracked teeth, or teeth that have experienced trauma
- Heavily worn teeth due to grinding or malocclusions (bad bites)
- Teeth that are malformed or discolored
- Teeth that have undergone root canal therapy
- Those teeth experiencing cracked tooth syndrome
- Patients with cosmetic concerns